Monday, July 18, 2011

newborns and my love of them

So my best friend just had her second baby this morning. They are both healthy and doing well. The baby is absolutely beautiful, I have been filled up all day. I'm so proud of her for enduring another c-section and delivering another summer baby! I couldn't be more happy for her growing family. Adding a beautiful son, its just wonderful. Her little girl is gorgeous and is going to make such a wonderful big sister. So today I started thinking, I miss the newborn stage. For a fleeting moment I craved another one, then I looked at Ro and the moment abrubtly stopped. I came to a swift halt in my dream world. OMG I have a 6 month old and a 20 month old. I've been down this road before....except my MV was only 4 months old. I'm so happy for my friend, but I don't have the strength or emotional drive to add a third. Not at this point. Not with a 6 month old that makes me want to cry atleast twice a day. (always at some "sleep" point in the day) At this point, I actually made myself a cup of coffee and talked myself down from the ledge. I reasoned out all the pros and cons. There were a lot of cons, and the pro was 1 - newborn. So darling, so cute, so cuddly, but it only last for a few weeks. Then I remembered middle of the night feedings and the sleep deprivation and then I remembered my other 2 babies. Don't get me wrong, I live for my girls. They are fantastic little wonders, but Ro is trying. They said she was lactose intolerant, colic, teething....maybe she is just fussy. She is a pip, that's my take. She is a hooligan in training. Yup - she's got some personality I'll tell ya. She is already realizing how to command a room and get her way. I hate to say it, but she's me. She's a wild little one that's going to be bold and brazen and always be up to something. She's going to test every boundary and push the limits. Sorry Mom, I now know how you must have felt. <3

So today we had dinner at my parents. I handed MV some pulled pork and her staple dinner of mac n cheese. I thought I was slick rick and shoved a piece of corn in her mouth while I was pretending to feed her mac n cheese (although she feeds herself sometimes she lets us give her something off the big people fork) and in an instance she starting rapidly shaking her head no and pulled the corn out and immediately stared me down. How dare I try to feed her something healthy? She was infuriated and threw the corn onto the tray. She then glared at me for at least 3 minutes letting me know, as usual, that she was in charge of her dietary needs and that corn was NOT part of it. This is really frustrating as a parent. After she ate all her dinner, I gave her a chocolate chip cookie, a first I suppose as it was a regular cookie. She shoveled it in like she was starving, not at all concerned with the fact it was a new food. I am actually quite shocked at how smart she is. 20 months and the girl already knows chocolate is a girls best friend. It's quite amazing that she can immediately shun corn but gladly accept and enjoy chocolate.....

On a side note, at work today some dude comes in and asks about who cut his hair last time. He is sure it was on a Monday and the gave a vague description. I asked if it was a specific girl and his response was "no she's skinnier". I almost punched him in the face. The girl in question is probably the most fit girl I know. She's tall and thin and beautiful like a model. While the girl he was referring to is very thin and fit also, she's just tiny. My initial internal response was - I'm sorry Mr. GD Universe but that girl is not here today, but I used my PC/Work friendly response of - oh do you mean tinier and used my hand to symbolize stature??? Skinnier? WTF. Maybe its because I'm sensitive to weight issues, but this dude was FAT, UGLY and generally looked homeless. I seriously wanted to be like, I'm sorry most eligible bachelor ever, I'm sorry GQ Man of the Year?????? Ok, I'm still raging at that one. Skinnier. Yes, what gives a -1 (on the scale of 1-10) to judge skinny. If he was a 10, I'd still be outraged but less likely to want to punch him or blog about him, I'd probably just chalk it up to ignorance. That said, I'm not sure he had all of his front teeth.

And by the way, my fear of being out of the house by 8am is coming to fruition on Wednesday. MV has a audiologist appointment an hour away at 9am. Why did I make it for that time. Was it in my clouded early months post Ro's birth, when I could not add 2+2 no less book appointments properly? I'm shocked by my lack of judgement with making such an early appointment. I know better, what was I thinking? I'm already having an anxiety attack at the prospect of getting there on time. 2 pm is my earliest safe time. 9am is full blown crazy town. I can only compare it to going out drinking after work on Thursday until 5am then heading to work at 9am Friday when your 30. It's a lose/lose situation. Nothing nice about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment